What is Write the World?

Announcements

• Remember, the first 100 writers to submit a draft of their Environmental Journalism Competition entry will receive an EXPERT REVIEW! Send us a draft today
  • Shine a light on an environmental issue in your own backyard! Our Environmental Journalism Competition is NOW OPEN! We're giving away cash prizes for Best Entry, Runner Up, and Best Peer Review.
  • You may notice some familiar faces around Write the World sporting an orange "Senior Peer Reviewer" badge as their profile picture. These are our new Senior Peer Reviewers, Write the World alumni who have returned to the community to mentor writers through providing in-depth peer reviews! Give them a warm welcome!
  • Congrats to our first Competition Bingo Winners, Saadia, luluwrites111, and Soph_thewriter! This new year, you can get Write the World Bingo too. Just download a card here, plan out which competitions you’re going to enter to win, and get writing!
See All Announcements

For Educators

Improve the writing and thinking skills your students need to succeed in school, career, and life. Learn How

Our Community

Jothsimar (Australia)() published:

Memories

To some people, I seem like a rude child not wanting to talk to anyone about anything. They don't know what I've been through. Feeling the pain everyday. The images fresh in my mind like it happened yesterday. Every night I have nightmares of the night over and over and over again. I wonder if I could have saved him. I wonder if I could have saved my father. 

I grew up in a small, poor village where it was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

24 minutes ago

fatpanda (India)() liked keramikos // ceramics by loveletterstosappho (United States of America)()

27 minutes ago

KittyTheCheshireCat (Australia)() started following Jun Lei (United States of America)()

about 1 hour ago

KittyTheCheshireCat (Australia)() liked Queer by Jun Lei (United States of America)()

about 1 hour ago

KittyTheCheshireCat (Australia)() started following Lady Trewlany (Hong Kong)()

about 1 hour ago

PureHeart (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() liked My First Contest! #Helpme2020 by HelpMe512 (United States of America)()

about 1 hour ago

KittyTheCheshireCat (Australia)() liked Ode to the Kid by Lady Trewlany (Hong Kong)()

about 1 hour ago

Ruthh (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() liked Queer by Jun Lei (United States of America)()

about 1 hour ago

Silver Ink (Australia)() started following Lady Trewlany (Hong Kong)()

about 1 hour ago

Silver Ink (Australia)() liked Ode to the Kid by Lady Trewlany (Hong Kong)()

about 1 hour ago

Published Writing

Jothsimar (Australia)() published:

Memories

Seeking Peer Reviews

24 minutes ago

laurahalliday (Australia)() published:

Australia needs real climate policy, now.

PROMPT: Environmental Journalism Competition 2020

On Sydney’s north shore, they presented themselves innocuously enough. Air that was too smoky for rowing training. A sky that had been a lifeless grey colour for weeks. Strangers on the train, calling family who had been evacuated. The usual light-hearted quiz shows played during the cricket lunch break, replaced with sombre newsreaders and grim politicians.

This summer, in the land and communities making up the 18.6 million hectares of land burned by the Australian bushfires, they were very,...

about 1 hour ago

Swetha Tandri (United States of America)() published:

Urban Atrocity- A Kiss of Death

Hurt. Sadness. Confusion. Anger. All these sensations bounced around my head like ping pongs after I received the devastating news at just 9 years old.  As I gazed out my car window while heading to school, I noticed that an enormous lake that used to be a safe haven for a delicate ecosystem of marine life had now been sucked away. My father joked around about how a thirsty giant consumed the water, but I knew humans were responsible- and...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

FictionVsNon-Fiction (New Zealand)() published:

Native Bio-Diversity vs Modern Humans

"The essential, interconnected web of life on Earth is getting smaller and increasingly frayed" - Prof. Josef Settele

With Antarctica logging its highest temperature repeatedly, within days, it is evident that we are experiencing the symptoms of an irreversible danger. It is surprising how nature's moans are not what makes up the news headlines. However, as the field of science and technology gets more developed with time, many denials and myths are proven wrong. While most people are starting to understand...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

Melanie Gresser (United States of America)() published:

Our Contaminated Beaches

Residents of Imperial Beach, California, were unable to enjoy their picturesque local beaches for more than 300 days last year. Signs and placards, posted in various locations, warned swimmers and surfers not to enter the water. Daily testing indicated that bacteria levels were too high for human exposure. Mayor Serge Dedina, frustrated that his city’s beaches continue to be unsafe, is pleading for help and intervention from the U.S. government. 
    Every single day, approximately 50 million gallons of raw sewage,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

.amelia. (Singapore)() published:

Tower | #Helpme2020

Trust me, if you've never been stood up, consider yourself blessed. The shame of everyone staring at you and hurt of realizing their actually not coming, is whole a new level of heartbreak.

It certainly was for me.

Maybe rejection would hurt more for anyone else. But to wait alone and watch all your faith trickle away, justified my opinion.

The candlelit restaurant seemed a little gloomier. Idle chatter sounded more like ringing in my ears. And my new dress...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

2

aryelee (United States of America)() published:

y'all got my whole heart #WTWSignOff

Hey everyone!

I'm about 19.5 now, so my account will be deactivated very, very soon. I actually got an email telling me to write this months ago, but I put it off because I didn't want to say goodbye yet. I'm not sure the exact day I'm being deactivated, but it will be soon, so I figured now is a good time to get this out to everyone.

I came onto Write the World years ago. Back before it really...

about 4 hours ago

LynnAnna (Philippines)() published:

No Planet Like Earth

Time, human activities, and the evolution of people's lifestyles have changed the world so much. Weather and seasons have been unexpectedly shifting. Forests and mountains transformed into industrial lots, and extraordinary species of animals are on the brink of extinction. The polar bears are watching their home melting. Carbon brief organization stated that all the 19 subpopulation of Polar bears have experienced some degree of ice loss, which threatens their habitat and their survival, while fishes in the oceans...

about 4 hours ago

1

Jasmine_K (United States of America)() published:

more sad prose written five minutes after i was supposed to be in bed

my earbuds are broken on one side; the left one is still playing king princess though. 
lipstick stains on my pillow, tongue running against smooth collarbone. finger-scooping the dirt in my lawn to make graves for us.
does that make me desperate? the soil soaks up top-shelf whisky so well.
i kinda want to burn all the red dresses i bought for you to see me in. but i kinda want to keep them as well- isn’t that ironic? 
suppose we...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

2

Lady Trewlany (Hong Kong)() published:

Ode to the Kid

Ode the kid who feels alone,
Ode the kid who you wants to die,
Ode to the kid who is forced to hide,
Ode to the kid who cries at night

Ode to kid who locks themselves
In the bathroom because no one
Can see their
Scars

Ode to the kid who is drowning
On dry land
Who gasps and gasps 
But still can’t catch their breath

Ode to the kid who forgets
The last time that they smiled
Because...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

Seeking Reviews

Jothsimar (Australia)() published:

Memories

Seeking Peer Reviews

24 minutes ago

Urban Atrocity- A Kiss of Death

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

Native Bio-Diversity vs Modern Humans

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

Our Contaminated Beaches

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

.amelia. (Singapore)() published:

Tower | #Helpme2020

It certainly was for me.

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

1

suppose we...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

2

Lady Trewlany (Hong Kong)() published:

Ode to the Kid

Ode the kid who feels alone,
Ode the kid who you wants to die,
Ode to the kid who is forced to hide,
Ode to the kid who cries at night

Ode to kid who locks themselves
In the bathroom because no one
Can see their
Scars

Ode to the kid who is drowning
On dry land
Who gasps and gasps 
But still can’t catch their breath

Ode to the kid who forgets
The last time that they smiled
Because...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

The Campbell's Kid (United States of America)() published:

#2 - The Thought Of You - A Poem Mini Series

#2 - Listening To Songs Of My Present, Makes Me Think Of Our Past

- My Steven Universe CD -

I thought of you
When that same familiar “We...”
Played on the radio in my room

And as they sang 
My memories rolled back 
To the nostalgic songs of you and me

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

Zerren Stacy (United States of America)() published:

The Face of Evil

Have you ever wondered why many people call the Monsanto Company “the face of evil”? Monsanto is the manufacturer of the product Roundup, a well-known herbicide used by farmers around the globe. Roundup has been on the market for 46 years because it works incredibly well to eliminate unwanted plants. But Roundup also causes significant problems. The “evil” attributed to Roundup (and Monsanto) is due to its main chemical ingredient glyphosate. Glyphosate damages the environment, marine life, and human life....

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

1

FoxLilly106 (United States of America)() published:

The One For You

"When the lights go out and leave you standing in the dark" - Got it in You by BANNERS

Take one last look at the face
That you wish you could kiss one last time.
Imagine after years of suffering,
They walk away from you under that streetlight.
It was a rainy night,
Clouds covering the sky,
Blessing you with tears,
And cursing you with emptiness. 

Their figure fades away as you reach out for them,
Fingers curling against the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago