What is Write the World?

"If the World Was a Movie," by Hannah Flores, winner of WTW's 2020 Spoken Word Competition

Announcements

• The first weekly challenge in our new Writing Streak Challenge is up! Participate each day for a chance to be featured on our Instagram!
    about 2 hours ago
  • Dear Write the World Writers,

We’re so proud of the thoughtful, supportive community of young writers each of you has helped create here at Write the World. In order to ensure that we remain a welcoming place where every writer can grow and explore their craft, we’re making a few changes. 

Write the World is dedicated  to providing a space for young writers to focus on the writing craft, as an alternative to the many social media options already available. In the past year at Write the World, there’s been an increase in the types of posts you would find on social media platforms, including Q&As, direct addresses to the community, and a decrease in focus on the writing craft. 

Of course, connecting with like-minded peers is important for writers. So, in order to ensure our site is writing-focused, yet members still have the opportunity for connection, we’re implementing the following changes:
    • In order to encourage you to expand your writing portfolio and experiment with writing genres, all responses to the “Free Writing” prompt should fall into one of the following genre categories:
      • Fiction: examples include short stories, flash fiction, novel chapters
      • Nonfiction: narratives, explorations of craft, essays, journalism, creative nonfiction
      • Poetry: anything with meters, verse, etc
    • Social posts, including addresses to the Write the World community and Q&As will be removed. That is, if the piece isn’t a work of crafted writing it will be removed. 
    • Instead of user-run Q&As, you will now find a meet & greet prompt called Dust Jacket (permanently featured on the Start Writing page). This is a space for the community to share a bit about themselves. We will also, from time to time, post additional community prompts to inspire other forms of connection and sharing.
    • For your privacy and safety, we will remove your social handles. Your profile bio and message is the place to share information about your identity as a writer!
    • We’ve updated and clarified our site guidelines, and have posted them next to the “Freewriting” link for easy reference.
    We hope these changes will support your writing practice—we’ll make adjustments as necessary to keep ensuring WtW is a supportive, writing-focused platform for all members! 

Happy Writing! 
    The Write the World Team
  • This week's Wednesday Words pick is the thought-provoking poem Non-reflective by AbbyMayHampsen (US). Listen to her read it here!
  • CONGRATS to Samina (India) and Writing4Life (Australia) for completing all 14 of our weekly Writing Streak Challenges! Mark your calendars, because a new series of writing streak challenges starts next Monday, July 13.
See All Announcements

For Educators

Improve the writing and thinking skills your students need to succeed in school, career, and life. Learn How

Our Community

EllaJoy (United States) published:

The Last Piece of You

Plip. Plip. Plip.
    The stones sound like they always do, making small splashes in the mirrored water. 
    Plip. Plip. Plip. 
    They land, and sink to the bottom of the lake, too deep and dark for my eyes to follow for long. I try to watch them until I don't know if I am seeing the stone, or imagining. The light of the dying sun dances on the lake, too bright for me to look straight at.
    Plip. Plip. Plip. 
    My fingers dig...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1 minute ago

Coolgirl2020 (United States) liked sometimes i wanna rip psychology's head off by inanutshell (Singapore)

3 minutes ago

Writing4Life (Australia) reviewed:

Nowhere to be Found

Well done Katie! This is a really interesting piece :D Keep Writing <3

4 minutes ago

crow_e (United States) reviewed:

The Last Piece of You

Thank you for sharing this! Feel free to ask me any questions, and I'd be happy to review more of your work! Just let me know.

5 minutes ago

crow_e (United States) reviewed:

Perception

Thank you for sharing! Feel free to ask any questions, and let me know if you want me to review a revision of this piece!

8 minutes ago

4

Doodleninja (United States) published:

Sincerely, Your Creator | 3rd draft

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2020

Dearest friends who live in my mind,

I'm sorry for what I've put you all through. 
    Truly, deeply sorry. I'd give you a hug or something but unfortunately you do not exist, not in real life anyway. 
    You are just figments of my imagination, people who will never breach the barriers of my brain, because I made you up. 
    But you're so much more than just "characters" to me. 
    You're my children. 
    And also, unfortunately, the recipients of my ranting,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

8 minutes ago

elliemccul (Canada) reviewed:

the brightest purple girls (i hate to ask for feedback but um FEEDBACK)

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2020

This is some of the best writing I've read thus far on Write the World. You capture the readers with your first line and hold it until the end. Amazing, amazing work.

10 minutes ago

EllaJoy (United States) published:

Nightfall

There's a certain glow
To a tired sun
As if it is giving its all one last time
Feet brushing the grass,
stirring up the tiny bugs—
they fly up and then settle 
back into the grass.
The dirt underfoot warns of night
Laughter echoes through the thick air
Another party I declined
Instead I sit in my garden
Among the beetles and moths
And watch the sky turn from golden to gray to a 
deep, deep blue
The clouds...

Seeking Peer Reviews

10 minutes ago

Hjepike (United States) published:

The Martyr’s Prologue

(Some context: This was supposed to be for Expert Review for the Letter Writing Competition, but that window closed and now I need you guys to review this fictional/fantasy letter.)

For Keegan, to help you understand me, yourself, and someone you have yet to meet.

The first thing you should know about me; I wasn’t a storyteller. I couldn’t say a few inspiring words and soldiers would give their lives for me. A select few still did, though, but I...

13 minutes ago

elliemccul (Canada) reviewed:

murder of the mind

PROMPT: The Unseen

I'm so sorry I took so long to get to this, but hopefully, this was helpful. I hope you're having a good day. <3

13 minutes ago

Published Writing

EllaJoy (United States) published:

The Last Piece of You

Plip. Plip. Plip.
    Plip. Plip. Plip. 
    Plip. Plip. Plip. 
    My fingers dig...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1 minute ago

4

Doodleninja (United States) published:

Sincerely, Your Creator | 3rd draft

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2020

Dearest friends who live in my mind,

You're my children. 
Seeking Peer Reviews

8 minutes ago

EllaJoy (United States) published:

Nightfall

There's a certain glow
To a tired sun
Feet brushing the grass,
stirring up the tiny bugs—
they fly up and then settle 
back into the grass.
The dirt underfoot warns of night
Laughter echoes through the thick air
Another party I declined
Instead I sit in my garden
Among the beetles and moths
deep, deep blue
The clouds...

Seeking Peer Reviews

10 minutes ago

Hjepike (United States) published:

The Martyr’s Prologue

13 minutes ago

9

inanutshell (Singapore) published:

sometimes i wanna rip psychology's head off

you there, in the faux lab coat with the overly large ego. you've got a flair for the dramatics, don't you? spare me the excuses, you crawl into the crevices of others' lives and call it an observation. you track tragedies from a distance and call it an experiment. do you know when to stop? when to let go? when does scientific curiousity amount to intrusion, a part of ourselves stolen and placed under a microscope? i get the fascination,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

29 minutes ago

1

.amelia. (Singapore) published:

She stole more than ingredients

Quinn could almost hear his  apologetic whispers as he set the trap. She could imagine how sorry he must feel lacing a skinny net over the glossy blue glob.

But what for?

Cole's pathetic apologies couldn't remove sticky blue remnants staining her hands. Neither could he ease the pain her Mum was suffering for months.

So, why guiltily apologise over and over when it didn't change anything?

Quinn sighed.

She snatched up the mouldy sponge and began scrubbing the floor...

Seeking Peer Reviews

35 minutes ago

6

Dmoral (United States) published:

beauty is pain // death

they told me- beauty is pain
but my daddy liked to say:
                                                       true beauty won’t fit in the palm
                                                                         of any man.
yes, those words i remember most.

growing up consisted of three things:
i. learning
            to survive while questioning everything.
ii. loving
            this was easy, yet so drastically unbecoming.
iii. hurting
            so much hurting.

and i learned to count blessings
as though they’re stars; yet, i only
have so many & the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 hour ago

2

Daisy + Sage (Australia) published:

My greatest confessions (need feedback!) (draft 2)

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2020

Dear Mother,

I know that it has been a long time since I last tried to speak to you. Indeed, for many days I have tried to ignore you, even as a longing for you has obstructed my every breath. A part of me still wants that, but I cannot breathe any more. I need to tell you the things that I will never get to whisper into your ear, confess that which is beginning to rip me apart, even...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 hour ago

7

naomi ling (United States) published:

surrealism

cruel is the master that chains poets with brittle rope
tell me lies, i’ll frame it on my wall with plaster; 
i think i like the way they look in your scrawl 
but midnight reflections whisper otherwise in my ear.

do you remember when art was freeform? 
(of course you don’t. structured is the life of a poet.) 
tell me why we can’t dip fingers in wine
and call it mutiny, or lick Eve’s tempestuous apple
to behold a sin....

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 hour ago

11

PouringOutTheSun (Ireland) published:

And There’s Always Going To Be That Thought of Desertion In Your Head But Is The Sight of Her Daydreaming Not Enough?

She presses two heart-shaped stickers to your cheeks and for a moment you can’t breathe, but that’s okay because she’s having trouble with it too.

And it is lapses in judgement that leave you teetering on the edge. They call this place “World’s End” like that’s a bad thing. Like it’s not a place where you can come to forget that you’re just a reincarnation of everything else that’s ever mattered. Like it’s not a place where you can lie...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 hour ago

Seeking Reviews

EllaJoy (United States) published:

The Last Piece of You

Plip. Plip. Plip.
    Plip. Plip. Plip. 
    Plip. Plip. Plip. 
    My fingers dig...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1 minute ago

4

Doodleninja (United States) published:

Sincerely, Your Creator | 3rd draft

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2020

Dearest friends who live in my mind,

You're my children. 
Seeking Peer Reviews

8 minutes ago

EllaJoy (United States) published:

Nightfall

There's a certain glow
To a tired sun
Feet brushing the grass,
stirring up the tiny bugs—
they fly up and then settle 
back into the grass.
The dirt underfoot warns of night
Laughter echoes through the thick air
Another party I declined
Instead I sit in my garden
Among the beetles and moths
deep, deep blue
The clouds...

Seeking Peer Reviews

10 minutes ago

9

inanutshell (Singapore) published:

Seeking Peer Reviews

29 minutes ago

1

.amelia. (Singapore) published:

She stole more than ingredients

But what for?

Quinn sighed.

Seeking Peer Reviews

35 minutes ago

6

Dmoral (United States) published:

beauty is pain // death

they told me- beauty is pain
but my daddy liked to say:
                                                       true beauty won’t fit in the palm
                                                                         of any man.
yes, those words i remember most.

growing up consisted of three things:
i. learning
ii. loving
iii. hurting
            so much hurting.

and i learned to count blessings
as though they’re stars; yet, i only
have so many & the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 hour ago

2

Daisy + Sage (Australia) published:

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2020

Dear Mother,

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 hour ago

7

naomi ling (United States) published:

surrealism

do you remember when art was freeform? 
to behold a sin....

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 hour ago

11

PouringOutTheSun (Ireland) published:

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 hour ago

4

elliemccul (Canada) published:

eclipse

i’d take tea with the gods
if they would listen
spill liquified moons into delicate china teacups
and we will choke on tears woven from gossamer

what a bitter heart, my dear
dandelions coat my tongue with tuscany yellow
i shiver in the moon’s glittering penumbra
as we paint waxing crescents across the sky

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago