What is Write the World?

Announcements

• WTW Tip: Neighbor or neighbour? Traveled or travelled? Colour or color? It’s all welcome at Write the World! So when you are peer reviewing a piece, please keep in mind geographic differences in spelling and be sure not to correct them to your location’s preference.
    about 12 hours ago
  • Have you recently read a piece on WtW that you absolutely love? One that moved and inspired you, challenged your thinking, or taught you something about writing? Then nominate it to be a WtW Writer Pick! Tell us the name of the piece, the author, and why it made an impression on you and we might feature it (and your endorsement!) on the site. Nominate a piece here
    about 15 hours ago
  • Our Wednesday Words pick for the week is “What Is a Poem?” by G. N. Solomon (US)!

Did you know our Wednesday Words pieces are selected from responses to our writing prompts and competition entries? If you want your work to be considered for a Wednesday Word feature, respond to our prompts here!

• Don't forget, winners of our Song Writing Competition will be announced here on Friday, January 28! In the meantime, get ready for our Writing for Children Competition, opening February 7! Full details and guidelines will be available then.
See All Announcements

For Educators

Improve the writing and thinking skills your students need to succeed in school, career, and life. Learn How

Our Community

bekah_atly (United States) liked The side character's monologue by HighEntropy (India)

9 minutes ago

Jason_claire :) (United States) liked How a mouse discovered oxygen by Solus (Singapore)

22 minutes ago

Kween Ken (United States) liked Confusion by Kween Ken (United States)

30 minutes ago

HighEntropy (India) liked W.W.J.D by Parzi (United States)

about 1 hour ago

the_musings_of_me (Australia) liked W.W.J.D by Parzi (United States)

about 1 hour ago

the_musings_of_me (Australia) liked I know by Parzi (United States)

about 1 hour ago

Chai Tea (Australia) liked death (& love) [but in my head] by SunV (India)

about 2 hours ago

Chai Tea (Australia) liked nobody special (but special to me) by SunV (India)

about 2 hours ago

7

HighEntropy (India) published:

The side character's monologue

Tick
I got 80.
Tick
But she got 81.
Tick
When did even start caring about this?
Tick
Is this all my life's come to?
Tick
Is this all i amount to?
Tick
Because if it is, damn. Someone should've stopped me and told me devote more hours to it. To give more of a shit.

Tick

But, you want the truth? I have forced all the effort i can out of myself. They only care about the result....
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

Published Writing

7

HighEntropy (India) published:

The side character's monologue

Tick
I got 80.
Tick
But she got 81.
Tick
When did even start caring about this?
Tick
Is this all my life's come to?
Tick
Is this all i amount to?
Tick

Tick

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

1

Lilith Grace (United Kingdom) published:

The Nefarious Case at Bathory Mansion

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

The darkness swirled around her as the carriage clattered to a stop. The curtains were drawn tight against the dying sun. When Eugenia had begun her journey, the clouds were tensing for a storm. Now, they were black with promise with only a few sunbeams escaping the cover of darkness. Pushing through her skirts and her fury, she stepped out and glared at the forbidding mansion in front of her. The estate was chocked with ivy, gasping for a reprieve....

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

2

Is Ophelia a Weak Character?

To understand weakness, power and strength must be discussed. Weakness is defined as an absence of power and strength. Women have long been victims of having these traits taken away from them and Ophelia is no different. As Tynelle Ann Olivas states, Ophelia has “very little purpose other than to support” the male characters and their storyline under the guise of protection. She is a plot device and is limited to what society allows her to be as their possession.
...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

1

Is it necessary to know the context behind the poem or poet?

Context is used as a way of trying to understand the poet and their thoughts behind the poem—the poet’s brain and mental processes resulting in the poem—while poetry is essentially a way of exploring the heart. These two things could be considered separate, as seen with the common debate of ‘separating the art from the artist’. However, it could be argued that understanding the cause of such emotions helps the reader to understand the complexities of the poets life, and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

1

How does Plath’s ‘Mirror’ reflect a search for Identity?

From the title ‘Mirror’, Plath hints to the audience that this poem, of no obvious rhyme or rhythm, explores themes like self-awareness and identity that is erased by the importance of appearance. 
    Historically, mirrors have been associated with women and the Deadly Sin of Lust.  However in recent times, female artists have attempted to subvert this stereotype and depict self-awareness through acknowledging the audience.
    Plath’s consistent first person perspective of the Mirror relates a congruence between the historical...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

1

How does Plath explore male dominance in her poem ‘Pursuit’?

In Plath’s time sexuality was suppressed, for women in particular; the Pill had not yet been invented and sexual freedom would have resulted in a child. While this would be detrimental to an unmarried woman, men were liberated, which resulted in “charred and ravened women”, the conquests of the “panther” and by extension male dominance in a patriarchal society.
                Socially, women were expected to be submissive, giving in to the male dominance that permeated the culture of the time....

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

Sneha_ (India) published:

Sweet Song Order

Remember how I stepped into your garden,
You said what's the matter
A little nervous,I replied
I'm just pizza delivery girl
You asked me If I could sing
Smiling I said a big yes
And before I could respond you said

Sweet song order is what you want next time
I will for sure bring it next time
I will give you a cup filled with love
Waiting for your next phone call
Just to deliver your sweet song
sweet...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

Daena (Australia) published:

escape

PROMPT: Minds in Movement

Driving aimlessly, no destination. In many ways, it mimics my train of thought. I only do stop when there is something worth seeing, writing or photographing.

For me, it's about getting away from the monotonous routine of my small, lazy suburb. To somewhere more quiet, with a hum of tranquility, or somewhere bustling with people, full of life and potential.

Only when you see the world and the people who live their complicated, beautiful...

about 5 hours ago

Daena (Australia) published:

escape

PROMPT: Minds in Movement

about 5 hours ago

2

SunV (India) published:

nobody special (but special to me)

PROMPT: Selecting a Reader

they are shy, because why else
would you immerse yourself in poems
that make only half sense & are
worth not fifty pence?

she is beautiful, but she
does not know it. she takes
injured butterflies home &
nurses them back to health, 
watching it as it flies away
once again.

he is brave, but he does 
not realise it. he stands up
& protects the children from
the bullies, and walks them home,
smiling at the sight.

they walk...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

Seeking Reviews

7

HighEntropy (India) published:

The side character's monologue

Tick
I got 80.
Tick
But she got 81.
Tick
When did even start caring about this?
Tick
Is this all my life's come to?
Tick
Is this all i amount to?
Tick

Tick

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

1

The Nefarious Case at Bathory Mansion

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

2

Is Ophelia a Weak Character?

...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

1

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

1

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

1

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

Sneha_ (India) published:

Sweet Song Order

You said what's the matter
A little nervous,I replied
I'm just pizza delivery girl
You asked me If I could sing
Smiling I said a big yes
And before I could respond you said

I will for sure bring it next time
I will give you a cup filled with love
Waiting for your next phone call
Just to deliver your sweet song
sweet...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

2

SunV (India) published:

nobody special (but special to me)

PROMPT: Selecting a Reader

they are shy, because why else
would you immerse yourself in poems
that make only half sense & are
worth not fifty pence?

she is beautiful, but she
does not know it. she takes
injured butterflies home &
nurses them back to health, 
watching it as it flies away
once again.

he is brave, but he does 
not realise it. he stands up
& protects the children from
the bullies, and walks them home,
smiling at the sight.

they walk...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

69
1

Chai Tea (Australia) published:

the hunger

PROMPT: Selecting a Reader

you write poetry out of necessity.
poets are people who are hungry.
you pen haikus in springtime &
elegies when the bees sting,
limericks at garden parties 
& sonnets once all the guests have 
left. if paper & ink are your midnight 
salvation, the local bookshop 
must be holy ground. ‘cause 
the lady there thinks you’re kinda 
crazy, but shelves your poems at the back
anyway.

your reader plays hide & seek out of fear.
he’s hiding from his hot-tempered...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

12

Solus (Singapore) published:

How a mouse discovered oxygen

No beautiful man holds
her up in worship, arms spreading
against the light; A messiah forged in stained
glass, well-versed in all things dreadful.
He may prod this exotic specimen of thought, 
elbow balanced against a mounting
display of fierce-patterned wings,
dried and pinned. Each finger is a candle.
She calls for a face she does not know the name to,
perhaps labelled in one of those airtight drawers:
Life, languor gone rancid.

A closing bell jar, a Mouse. Mint plant and smoke.
A man.

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago