About Us

Our Mission

Write the World is dedicated to improving the writing of high school students through a global online community and guided interactive process. Young writers are empowered to develop their voices, refine their editing skills, and publish on an international platform. Write the World helps students develop the writing strategies and communication tools essential for success in school, career, and life.

Watch our founder, David Weinstein, talk about the ways Write the World empowers young writers on this Harvard Advanced Leadership Initiative video.

Our Team

Founded in 2012 by David Weinstein, Write the World has expanded into a small team of writers, educators and entrepreneurs. We work closely with high school students and teachers and are always looking for new members for our student and teacher advisory boards (see details below). If you are interested in joining our dynamic startup in any capacity, please get in touch!!

David Weinstein

Chief Executive Officer

David Weinstein is the founder and CEO of Write the World, which he developed as a Senior Fellow at the Advanced Leadership Initiative at Harvard University. With a passion for education, he has served as a trustee of Boston College, Bryant University, Belmont Hill School, Fessenden School, Harvard Hillel, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, and the US Supreme Court Historical Association. David was a senior executive and corporate lawyer at Fidelity Investments, managing the human resources, legal, real estate, compliance, security, audit, and accounting functions. David is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences. He is a graduate of Boston University and Boston College Law School.

Clare McFadden

Executive Director

Clare McFadden manages and oversees the Write the World website, community, and programs. Clare has worked in Arts Education with children, young people, and communities in both Australia and the United States. She is also an author and illustrator. Her first book, "The Flying Orchestra" was awarded the 2011 Children's Book Council of Australia Crichton Award, was selected as one of the "50 Books You Can't Put Down" as part of the Australian Government's Get Reading Campaign, was adapted for the stage as the headlining work at the 'Out of the Box' Festival and listed as one of the Australian Booksellers’ Association's 50 Favourite Children’s Books. Clare was a Teaching Fellow for the Writing Workshop course at Harvard University and is working on her second book. Clare holds a Master's Degree in Education (Arts in Education) from Harvard University. Clare would love to hear from you if you'd like to know more about Write the World, or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our website clare@writetheworld.com.

Brian King

Chief Technology Officer

Brian manages Write the World’s technology operations, development, and support. He’s passionate about the promise of technology to deliver engaging educational resources to students throughout the world. After earning a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from Northeastern University in Boston, Brian devoted his career to the development of software products. For the last decade, in senior leadership positions at Pearson Education, he built and managed global teams that created interactive learning experiences to engage and enlighten students, foster collaboration, and support best practices. Brian loves reading, particularly historical biographies, continuing to learn (and sometimes relearn) with his two teenage sons, and doing just about anything outdoors.

Michelle Billie Fitzpatrick

Learning Strategy Advisor

Billie, a founding member of Write the World, is a writer, educator, and twenty-year publishing professional. For Write the World, she helped design the underlying curriculum of the website, worked closely with educators, leading professional development, and forged relationships with partner organizations. She began her career as a writing teacher, helping to launch the Writers in the Schools program (Houston) and has also taught writing at Harvard Graduate School of Education and University of Houston, among other colleges. She also served as an educational consultant to CAST, Inc, where she designed UDL curriculum and facilitated online professional development courses. As a ghostwriter and book collaborator, she has co-authored over fifty books in both nonfiction and fiction. She earned an Ed.M. in Mind, Brain and Education from Harvard Graduate School of Education, a MA in Literature & Creative Writing from the University of Houston, and a BA in English and French from Rice University.

Listen as Billie describes the many benefits of writing in an online community in Episode Seven of Turnitin’s “The Written Word.”

Liza Cochran

Education and Outreach Director

Liza Cochran stewards the education vision at Write the World, working with community members to develop innovative writing curriculum and programming. A longtime educator and writer, Liza has designed and implemented writing curriculum in high schools, colleges, and community centers across the US, including the Colorado Rocky Mountain School, Emerson College, and Grub Street Writing Center. Since 2015, Liza has served as a Teaching Fellow at Harvard University’s Graduate School of Education, where she teaches personal narrative writing with Dr. Nancy Sommers. Liza holds a bachelor’s degree from Brown University, where she studied writing, education, and environmental science, and a master’s in fine arts degree from Emerson College, where she studied creative writing. You can find her work in the Colorado Review, Gettysburg Review, and Fifth Wednesday Journal. Liza would love to hear from you if you’re curious about Write the World or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our platform: liza@writetheworld.com.

Anna Williams

Community Engagement Director

Anna Williams helps cultivate and support the Write the World community of young writers, alumni, and teachers. Before joining Write the World, Anna worked at the Boston Public Library as a key member of the marketing and communications team and served as the editorial assistant at the New England Quarterly. She earned a BA in Creative Writing and History from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a MA in Public History from Northeastern University. She is passionate about reading, writing, and the arts. Anna would love to hear from you! If you'd like to know more about Write the World or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our website, email anna@writetheworld.com.

Brittany Collins

Teaching and Learning Coordinator, Product Manager: Global Writing Workshops

Brittany designs and supports educational programming at Write the World while working directly with students, teachers, and partners to support their use of the platform. She holds a B.A. in English and Education from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and has published over 20 articles in the genres of creative nonfiction and education journalism, with works featured in such outlets as The Washington Post, Education Week, Edutopia, Inside Higher Ed, and English Journal of NCTE, among others. Brittany is passionate about social-emotional learning and trauma-informed teaching, and her first book-- on the topic of grief support in secondary schools-- is forthcoming with Heinemann Press of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

To share your thoughts or questions about Write the World, you can reach Brittany at: brittany@writetheworld.com. She would love to hear from you!

Mary J. Cronin

Director, Write the Family™

Dr. Mary J. Cronin is the program and partnership director for Write the Family™, Write the World’s intergenerational family storytelling program. Mary’s role at Write the World combines her passion for preserving family stories, sparking creative collaboration across generations, developing innovative learning opportunities, and teaching. Mary earned a PhD at Brown University, an MLS in Library and Information Science at Simmons College, and a BA at Emmanuel College. She taught management and interdisciplinary social impact courses at Boston College for over twenty-five years and is currently a Boston College Research Professor. She serves as a nonprofit director of the Boston Authors Club and the Encore Boston Network. Mary has authored twelve books on managing digital innovation, internet and wireless business, smart products, and social impact. In addition to writing her own books, she enjoys helping aspiring authors to crystalize their inspiration from works in progress through publication.

Gabrielle Lieberman-Miller

Director, College Essay Program

With a history of successfully leading operations for educational organizations and a passion for improving writing outcomes, Gabrielle Lieberman-Miller directs the College Essay Program at Write the World. Gabrielle’s love of education began by exploring the intersectionality of Creative Writing and East Asian Studies at the University of British Columbia, where she mentored over 60 students on international prose. At the Harvard Graduate School of Education, she connected academic research to classroom practice by developing a comprehensive educator's resource to improve socioemotional and perspective-taking skills. She has supported students one-on-one in crafting engaging and effective narratives, and has held directorial positions at several ed-tech organizations. Through these roles, she has optimized training and service quality to help hundreds of students gain acceptance to their dream college.

Michelle Levine

Digital Marketing Manager

As Digital Marketing Manager, Michelle is responsible for content creation and lead generation for Writing Workshops offered by Write the World. A strategic, creative, and entrepreneurial marketing professional, Michelle brings a range of skills to WtW, including social media, copywriting, blogging, graphic design, project management and digital marketing. Before joining WtW, Michelle was a small business owner, Marketing Manager at an executive search firm, and a contributing writer for publications such as CBS Boston, Examiner, and the New York Times Company, About.com. She received a B.A. in Sociology from Eastern Connecticut State University where she studied public relations, marketing, and communications. You may contact Michelle at michelle@writetheworld.com.

Mishaal Husain

Educational Technology Specialist

Mishaal supports technical operations at Write the World, while also contributing to its marketing, media, and business development efforts. She holds an Ed.M. from the Harvard Graduate School of Education, where she specialized in Educational Technology, and a B.A. in English from the Lahore University of Management Sciences. At Harvard, she focused on designing innovative educational experiences, ranging from physical toolkits to online learning environments, for young learners. She also has experience working on research & curriculum projects with organizations like iCivics and Boston Children’s Museum. She is passionate about leveraging technology to create accessible educational content that can reach students living around the world.

Mishaal would love to hear from you if you have any recommendations for our platform—you can reach her at mishaal@writetheworld.com!

Tom Novak

Director of Finance

As Director of Finance, Tom brings years of financial and administrative experience to Write the World. He has held financial positions in a wide variety of environments, from fast growing entrepreneurial not-for-profits to large established organizations. He has worked in the fields of trade and scholarly book publishing, healthcare quality improvement, public radio & television, higher education and most recently with a consulting firm working to improve the lives of our most vulnerable. He earned a business degree from the University of Buffalo, has served on the Board of HIPPY (the Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters), and currently serves on the finance committee with AANE (the Asperger’s Association of New England). He is a lifelong athlete (running, swimming, cycling) and a resident of Cambridge, MA.

Melissa De Silva

Education Ambassador - Singapore

Melissa promotes awareness about Write the World in Singapore, seeking to form partnerships and connections with like-minded people and organizations who are passionate about young writers and their work. Melissa also serves as an Expert Reviewer at Write the World. Her book of essays, Others’ is Not a Race, a genre-blending collection that explores Eurasian culture and identity, won the 2018 Singapore Literature Prize in the English Creative Nonfiction category. Professionally, she has worked as a journalist and an editor. Her Bachelor's degree in English Literature is from the National University of Singapore. She is currently working on a climate fiction novel. Melissa would love to hear from you if you'd like to know more about Write the World, or if you would like to explore ways of working together. Melissa can be contacted at:melissa@writetheworld.com

Lori Pelliccia

Site Reviewer and Moderator

Lori enjoys sharing her lifelong love for reading and writing with students and young writers. As a middle school and high school English teacher, Lori incorporates creative writing into her classes and always enjoys reading books that her students recommend. After teaching for nine years in independent schools in Virginia and Massachusetts, Lori continues to teach online today. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education for English from The Pennsylvania State University, and a Master of Fine Arts in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. At Write the World, Lori loves seeing students from all over the world share their writing and their ideas within a supportive environment.

Chris Feeney

Writing Advisor and Project Coordinator

As a Writing Advisor, Chris seeks to inspire young writers and guide them through the difficult preliminary stages of their writing. As a Project Coordinator, he fulfills various behind-the-scenes roles, from education outreach to site moderating. Previously a writer on Write the World, he now holds a B.A. in English Literature and Creative Writing from Middlebury College, where he studied and practiced fiction, poetry, and playwriting. In addition to writing his own fiction, which has been shortlisted in CRAFT Literary magazine, Chris volunteers as a submission reader for the New England Review. As an emerging writer, Chris understands how daunting it can be to put words on a new page, but he also believes the process itself can be made enjoyable and enlightening, and that all great writing depends on such tremendous efforts. You can reach Chris at chris@writetheworld.com

Anna Gibbs

Writing Advisor and Project Coordinator

As a Writing Advisor and Project Coordinator, Anna wears many hats at Write the World, including providing one-on-one feedback in workshops and cultivating the site’s supportive community. She studied poetry and journalism at Harvard College, where she recently graduated with a B.A. in English. Since then, she has written for hospitals and environmental journals about medical research and climate change solutions. She started with Write the World in 2013 as a young writer and has since been involved in many different capacities, from site moderating to expert reviewing. Anna enjoys working with writers from around the world as they develop their craft. You can reach Anna at agibs@writetheworld.com

Lisa Hiton

Editorial Associate

Lisa Hiton holds an MFA in Poetry from Boston University and a M.Ed. in Arts in Education from Harvard University. She is an Editorial Associate at Write the World, where she writes two monthly blogs and provides expert reviews for student work. Her blog, "Reading Like a Writer", offers readers a glance at craft books in various writing genres with reading and writing prompts to pair. "The Write Place" helps young and emerging writers engage in habits of mind and heart that lend themselves to a writer's life.

Michael Lydon

Writer, Musician and Write the World Columnist

Michael Lydon is a writer and musician who lives in New York City. Author of many books, among them Rock Folk, Boogie Lightning, Ray Charles: Man and Music, and Writing and Life. A founding editor of Rolling Stone, Lydon has written for many periodicals as well, the Atlantic Monthly, New York Times, and Village Voice.

He is also a songwriter and playwright and, with Ellen Mandel, has composed an opera, Passion in Pigskin. A Yale graduate, Lydon is a member of ASCAP, AFofM local 802, and on the faculty of St. John’s University.

Teacher Advisory Board

We work with a group of teachers from around the world to ensure that the website is responsive to the needs and ideas of educators. Teachers give regular feedback on the site, and are a most valued part of the Write the World community. Please get in touch with us if you are an educator interested in joining the Advisory Board: clare@writetheworld.com

Student Consultants

Young writers have played an essential role in shaping our ever-evolving website. Clare and Liza work with a group of students who offer regular feedback on prompts, design, and future Write the World offerings. If you're interested in joining our fabulous team of Student Consultants, we'd love to hear from you: liza@writetheworld.com or clare@writetheworld.com

Expert Reviewers

Our Expert Reviewers are a group of educators and writers who provide feedback on our young writers' monthly competition drafts. This personalized feedback gives our young writers the opportunity to revise and polish their draft before their final submission. Expert Reviewers also assist with the competition shortlisting process. If you are interested in finding out more about Expert Review at Write the World, please contact liza@writetheworld.com

Rotimi Adeoye

Rotimi Adeoye is a public servant, writer, and community advocate. Rotimi currently serves as a Press Secretary on Capitol Hill. Previously, Rotimi worked as an assistant to Senator Bob Casey (D-PA) from Pennsylvania and worked as a volunteer on the Obama Campaign in 2012. He graduated from Hobart and William Smith Colleges with a degree in Political Science and is passionate about writing, poetry, young people in government, and the Philadelphia Eagles—go Birds!

Tarah Connolly

Tarah has always had a propensity for words and for working together, so it is a natural fit for her to support the Write the World community as an Expert Reviewer. After earning degrees from UC Berkeley in Linguistics and Psychology, Tarah began her career in museum education, and currently, she is the primary curriculum writer for a science museum in Santa Barbara, CA. Tarah participated in a creative writing program in high school which had a lasting impact on her. She hopes to pay it forward and support teenagers in their journey as writers and members of this global community.

Eliza Fichter

Eliza is a visual artist, writer and actor who is currently studying Arts in Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. She previously worked as an arts educator in Chicago, collaborating with theatre companies and community arts organizations throughout the city. She is currently researching end-of-life education practices and advocacy and is also working at the Harvard Art Museums as a teacher for studio art high school classes. Eliza is thrilled to join Write the World as an Expert Reviewer, and to collaborate with all the amazingly dedicated and curious writers of the world!

Sarah Garfinkel

Sarah is a writer, editor, and educator currently based in California. Her humor writing has appeared in publications including The New Yorker and McSweeney's. She studied Spanish, English, Education and Human Development at the University of California, Davis and Language and Literacy at Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE). As a Teaching Fellow at HGSE, she teaches personal narrative and opinion writing. She adores teaching and has taught creative and academic writing, journalism, improv, youth organizing, and global citizenship across a range of settings including K-12, nonprofit, and higher education. She is thrilled to join Write the World as an Expert Reviewer and feels lucky to read the beautiful words of the talented emerging writers in this global community.

Natalie Goodale

Natalie is a writer, artist, and journalist who works as a high school guidance counselor in Western Massachusetts. With a bachelor’s degree in English and Journalism from Springfield College and a master's in School Counseling from Fitchburg State University, Natalie has taught high school English and also worked as a newspaper journalist and editor in Eastern Massachusetts. Natalie is excited to combine her passions for writing and supporting young people into a role as Expert Reviewer for Write the World. She looks forward to encouraging young writers to develop their skill sets, voices, and perseverance.

Helen Grant

Helen is currently studying History and Modern Languages at the University of Cambridge, but is based in Paris for her year abroad. She is a former Arts editor of the student newspaper, Varsity, and was the 2018/19 Welfare Officer for Murray Edwards College. Helen joined Write the World back in 2015 as a young writer. She believes that having access to such a platform was instrumental in giving her the confidence to express herself academically and otherwise. Helen is back with us at Write the World as an Expert Reviewer in the hope that she might be a small part of that journey for someone else.

David Keohane

David is a freelance actor, director, and arts administrator currently based in the Mid-Hudson Valley. He is a Theatre Arts graduate from Boston University, where he studied acting, directing, play writing, and theater management. He also holds a Shakespearean acting certificate from the London Academy of Music + Dramatic Art, and has worked extensively in both Boston and Chicago. David joins Write the World as an Expert Reviewer where he hopes to inspire the next generation of change-makers, and galvanize the world with the power of words.

Ashley Kirantan

Ashley hails from sunny Singapore and is currently pursuing a dual degree at both Columbia University in New York and The Paris Institute of Political Studies (Sciences Po). Having held roles including Writer, Peer Ambassador and Community Ambassador mentor, she is thrilled to be back as an Expert Reviewer to work with the brilliant and inquisitive minds that compose the WtW community. Ashley currently holds editorial positions with publications like Young Feminist Europe, has served as a judge for The Queen's Commonwealth Essay Competition, and previously co-founded an international history and politics publication.

Laurence Li

Laurence earned a master’s degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Technology, Innovation, and Education program, as well as a B.A. from Yale College with a major in English and concentration in poetry. At Harvard, he wrote a paper on the potential of online writing communities to transform language education and researched the digital life of teenagers with Project Zero. Currently, he works as a data associate in a charter school system, helping teachers and school leaders use data to inform their practice. He is thrilled to become an Expert reviewer and especially to help aspiring poets discover their voices.

Daven McQueen

Daven McQueen is a queer Afro-Filipino author who writes across genres about identity, deep friendship, and growing up. Originally from Los Angeles, Daven grew up sharing her writing in online communities, and went on to receive a BA in Literary Arts from Brown University. Her first young adult novel, The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones, was released in June 2020. Daven has experience in teaching and tutoring writing and is excited to join Write the World as an Expert Reviewer to help amplify the voices of young writers around the world.

Janelle Milanes

Janelle is the author of the young adult novels The Victoria in My Head, listed as one of Bank Street’s Best Children’s Books of 2018, and Analee, In Real Life, featured in the New York Times book review. She is originally from Miami, Florida and a graduate of Davidson College, where she studied English Literature. Her passion for books led her to New York City to work at Simon & Schuster before pursuing a master’s degree in Special Education. After working in publishing, she spent ten years as an elementary school teacher. Janelle currently lives in New Jersey with her husband and two daughters. The intersection of education and writing has always held a special place in Janelle’s heart. She is eager to support young writers at Write the World as they cultivate their talents.

Anne-Marie Te Whiu (Te Rarawa)

Anne-Marie Te Whiu (Te Rarawa) is a poet, editor, weaver, festival director and currently holds a Senior Project Manager position at Red Room Poetry. In 2019 she co-edited Solid Air, Australia and New Zealand Spoken Word anthology. She has edited Tony Birch’s forthcoming poetry collection Whisper Songs. Between 2015-2017 she was co-director of the Queensland Poetry Festival. Her poems and essays have appeared in Cordite, Te Whē Journal, Australian Poetry, Sport, Rabbit and Ora Nui amongst others. She received a Bachelor of Creative Arts at University of Southern Queensland and studied the Māori & Pasifika Writing Paper at Victoria University, New Zealand.

Ajay Nair

Ajay is an Expert Reviewer with Write the World, where he provides feedback and constructive criticism to young writers. A writer from a young age, he has had numerous fiction and non-fiction pieces produced in school and commercial publications. He first encountered Write the World in junior college, and greatly appreciated the platform to share writing and view reader responses. As an expert reviewer, he seeks to pay it forward by helping young writers develop their confidence and proficiency in the same way other reviewers have helped him.

Erin Preston

Erin is an educational researcher and former arts educator who draws upon eight years of teaching visual and digital art. She currently works with the Chicago Humanities Festival and Chicago Arts Partnerships in Education on program evaluation and research. She earned a Master of Education from the Arts in Education program at Harvard Graduate School of Education, where she also researched global competency with the Interdisciplinary and Global Studies team at Project Zero. Erin has worked with WtW as an Expert Reviewer since its early stages in 2013, and enjoys this work because she believes in elevating and supporting the voices of young people.

Scott Sonnenberg

Scott is a writer who is excited to join the expert reviewer team at Write the World. A graduate of Columbia University with majors in Art History and Economics-Mathematics, Scott explores a diverse set of topics in his writing and brings wide-ranging experience to WtW. Eager to mentor young writers, Scott strives to offer them the quality of feedback he wishes he had had when he began to write as a teenager and to encourage them to eagerly embrace the revision process.

Alumni Ambassadors

Alumni Ambassadors organize and engage our alumni community of Write the World graduates and shape alumni initiatives, including the Senior Peer Review Program and the monthly alumni newsletter.

Shanti Mathias

Shanti is a writer who loves using words to echo the world's complexity in all its surprising connections. She is studying for an English Literature degree in New Zealand, and enjoys exploring, reading journalism, and listening to melancholy acoustic music.

Angelina Nguyen

Angelina is from the beautiful city of Sydney. She was a Write the World Young Writer from 2015 and since then has been a Peer Ambassador, Peer Mentor, and is now one of Write the World's Alumni Ambassadors. Being on Write the World completely transformed her not only as a writer but as a person, and being able to mentor the Senior Peer Reviewers team has been an absolute honour. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Music (Music Education) in hopes of becoming a teacher herself someday. She still writes today as a part of her university's student newspaper team.

Community Ambassadors

Community Ambassadors contribute to and enhance the Write the World community through writing regular peer reviews for their fellow writers, creating writing prompts, writing example responses to prompts, and more. With their invaluable writing support, Community Ambassadors help shape the culture of the Write the World community.

Anna O’Connor - Community Ambassador Mentor

Anna comes from the Irish countryside and has just started studying English in UCC as a Quercus scholar. She is so excited to work as a Community Ambassador mentor and is looking forward to working with the amazing writers that make up the ambassador team. Anna loves writing and acting and she can often be found devising work with her Youth Theatre. In her spare time, nothing can beat watching Netflix or reading a good book by the fire with her dog, Rosie.

Antonia Brasher

Antonia is a 16-year-old expert procrastinator living in Michigan, USA. She spends too much of her time reading and thinking about writing, and not enough time actually writing. Most days you can find her curled up with a good book. She has always loved storytelling and has fallen in love with poetry performances. She enjoys watercolor painting, foraging/hiking in nature, and kickboxing. She does most of her writing past 1 a.m. and has a room about as messy as her sleep schedule. She hopes to encourage other writers to embrace their creativity through her role as Community Ambassador.

Avril Black

Avril is a 17-year-old writer who lives in Winnipeg, Canada. She loves her hometown but dreams of living somewhere warmer one day! She enjoys writing short stories and creative nonfiction, and she tries her best at poetry. She fell in love with reading at a very young age and has dreamed of writing her own novel ever since. When she isn’t reading or writing, she can be found playing piano, training for cross-country races, or playing with her cat! After graduating high school, she hopes to pursue a career in the medical field and travel the world. As a Community Ambassador, she is excited to help other young writers realize their potential.

Eloise Davis

Eloise is a 16-year-old who lives in the UK and relishes in the tea-drinking, sarcastic stereotype of the British. Having always loved reading, she enjoys writing dark prose, comedy fiction, or a combination of both. She wants to live in France, the country of romance and sugary pastries. It has recently come to her attention that many people outside of Britain don’t know what a shepherd’s pie is. Aside from her language and writing goals, she intends to correct this.

Jasmine Kapadia

Jasmine (she/her) joined Write the World in 2017. She has work in or forthcoming in Superfroot Magazine, Kissing Dynamite, The Bitchin’ Kitsch, the Eunoia Review, Malala Fund’s Assembly, All Guts No Glory, and elsewhere. She hopes to apply what she's learned in her positions as a poetry editor for Indigo Lit and a first reader for Polyphony Lit as a Community Ambassador. When not writing, she can be found stanning Beyoncé, over-applying lipgloss, and (re)-binge-watching RuPaul’s Drag Race.

Luiza Louback

Luiza is a 17-year-old Brazilian poet. Her work centers on personal histories and Latino stories, discussing identity and postcolonialism resistance. She is also the founder of a social literary project “Por Um Mundo Melhor,” advocating for the right to read and more literary accessibility in Latin America. Luiza is passionate about education methodologies and improving the literature approach in schools in order to create more readers in our society. She believes in the transformative power of literature and admires writers such as Clarice Lispector and Gabriel Gárcia Marquez.

Sophia Lindfield

Sophia is a 17-year-old student from Nova Scotia, Canada. She loves exploring all different kinds of writing, has written the first drafts of two novels, and has had several scripts performed at a local theatre and a drama fest. When she's not writing, you can find her singing along to Hamilton, discussing environmental politics, watching Gilmore Girls, or drinking coffee. Actually, scratch that. She's always drinking coffee.

Zirong Lui

Zirong is an 18-year-old writer who is from China but currently lives in Singapore. She started writing in Chinese at the age of 8 and fell in love with English at 16. Now, she enjoys writing in both languages! She published her first book on her 18th birthday. When she’s not racking her brain in front of her laptop, Zirong can be found playing tennis with her friends, binge watching YouTube, or singing along to hip-hop songs. Being a Community Ambassador at Write the World is a dream come true for her, and she hopes to share her passion with more writers!

Senior Peer Ambassadors

SPRs are Write the World alumni (former young writers who have turned 19.5 and have graduated from the site), who have returned to mentor current WtW writers.

Riley Asher-Stalbaum

Riley Asher-Stalbaum has loved writing ever since she can remember and spends as much of her free time as possible crafting poems, short stories, and novels. When she’s not writing you can find her working at her “real” job—training and managing her own stable of Standardbred Race Horses. While it’s a lot of work, she loves the chaos of the barn and the excitement of race night, and can’t imagine doing anything else. Write the World has helped her expand her own writing, so she finds it very rewarding to pay it forward to other young writers. She can’t wait to inspire other young writers to continue to write their truths and help make the world a better place!

Zawadi Bunzigiye

Zawadi is majoring in Electrical Engineering at Ryerson University, based in Toronto, Canada. Her time with Write the World began in 2018 during a difficult (yet interesting) time in her life when she was on a gap year from school and processed her feelings through writing. Writing on Write the World gave her the community and the feedback that she needed, and she found fulfillment through those interactions on the platform.

Nowadays, she mostly spends her time studying (sadly), hanging out with her lovely friends, listening to music, watching TV and, yes, writing. Now that she is a Senior Peer Reviewer, she can’t wait to see what’s in store for the Write the World community that gave her some light during dark times. Never stop writing!

Grace Cassidy

Grace is a 20-year-old university student from Brisbane, Australia. In December, she graduated from QUT with a BFA in Creative and Professional Writing and immediately started a Master of Writing, Editing and Publishing at the University of Queensland with plans to break into the world of publishing. Grace’s passions fall somewhere between reading, watching terrible television, drinking too much coffee and, occasionally, writing.

Colin Edwards

Colin Edwards is currently studying English in college and working towards becoming an author. He became hooked on the literary world in his first year of high school. He enjoys music, his two dogs, and having a nice tasty snack (preferably with some Hershey’s milk chocolate.) As a Senior Peer Reviewer, he aims to help young writers build confidence in themselves and improve their pieces.

Swasti Jain

Swasti Jain is a student in New Jersey, USA, majoring in finance and political science because she believes that there is a powerful intersection between the two fields. Some of the subject areas that are deeply interesting to her include critical writing, sustainability, and world politics. As an individual, she describes herself to be intensely motivated, playfully imaginative, and insatiably curious about the world. Her hobbies include watching too many old films, playing tennis and reading about everything from history to aviation. She is excited to continue writing peer reviews and mentoring aspiring young writers at Write the World!

Kati Keller

Kati Keller is a college junior majoring in literature and minoring in communications. She joined Write the World in eleventh grade in high school but started consistently creatively writing during late nights in ninth grade. She finds something calming about sitting in silence, free from the typical noise and motion, and creating something of her own making. As an editor, she’s fascinated by the seemingly endless combination of voices, sentence structures, and sounds, and figuring out how to help writers create the effect they are aiming for.

She is editor-in-chief of her university’s student newsblog and selection committee member for the student literary and visual arts magazine. She has also worked at Home and Community Options as a journalism/PR intern.

Amelia Nathan

Amelia is a sophomore at the University of Washington in Seattle majoring in Comparative History of Ideas, which is a unique interdisciplinary humanities program allowing her to combine her interests in philosophical theory, history, and literature. She is also planning courses of study in math and real estate. In addition to supporting the Write the World community, she is a Washington contributor for the online magazine Her Campus, and is also interested in architecture, law, and criminal justice. In her free time she loves painting and actively supporting social justice endeavors through club involvement at the University of Washington.

Kaitlyn Nightingale

Kaitlyn Nightingale was born and raised in the Okanagan Valley, Canada, and is currently attending Thompson Rivers University in British Columbia for Communications, New Media, and Global Studies. She has been passionate about the environment from a young age and now hopes to use her communications skills to help educate others about sustainability, ethical consumer habits, and the impacts of climate change. When she isn’t writing or attending school, Kaitlyn also enjoys travel, hiking with her golden retriever, photography, camping and reading.

Lauren Otolski

Lauren is a junior in Minnesota studying bioproducts engineering with minors in chemistry and creative writing. She has loved to tell stories since elementary school and especially likes writing realistic fiction that includes traces of fantasy. While she mostly writes short stories, she’s hoping to focus on a few longer pieces this school year!

When not at her desk with a notebook and a large mug of tea, she likes hiking, baking, listening to music (especially soundtracks), and playing video games. She’s currently working in a lab studying fungi and likes watching squirrels’ antics around campus. She also runs a D&D campaign with friends as well as playing both card, board, and other tabletop games with them.

She enjoys being back on the Write the World site and is excited to help other writers!

Liang Tian

Liang Tian is currently a Psychology major-French minor. For her, writing is an outlet to escape the stressors in life while examining them from afar. As a Senior Peer Review Ambassador, she is honoured to help other young writers grow. “May your quills never stop dancing, may there be sunshine in the stories you pen and may you find joy through the pages you read.”

Xin Yi Yap

It took Xin Yi a long time to call herself a writer. Write the World's peer-reviewing platform provided the push she needed to see the possibilities of her pieces. Writing became an indispensable part of her personal growth which helped her discover who else she could be. As a Senior Peer Reviewer, she wants to encourage fellow writers to grow; she hopes her reviews challenge their perceptions of their work and gets them to discover surprising ideas. When others expressed appreciation for her writing, she felt a little bit bigger than who she thought she was in this vast, vast world. Now, she hopes to do the same for others and be a small part of their writing journey.

She is currently still pursuing her interests with a creative writing minor. She hopes young writers out there never stop dreaming, and never stop trying.

Amalia Costa

Amalia is a second-year English student at the University of Nottingham and has previously served as a Community Ambassador on Write the World. She enjoys writing poetry, essays on pop culture (essays for exams? Not so much), short stories, and plays. She also enjoys exploring themes like womanhood, adolescence, and cultural lineage in her writing. Having been a proud member of the Write the World community for some years, Amalia now aims to use her role as a Senior Peer Reviewer to guide writers on the site in sharpening their creative writing skills, thinking outside the box and above all, enjoying the process from the first draft to the finished work. She is looking forward to reading everyone's work and hopes that her feedback is helpful and motivating. 

Ellen Waters

Ellen is a student from the UK, currently in her second year of English and Related Literature at the University of York. She was a writer on Write the World for many years, publishing mostly poetry and flash fiction, and absolutely loved the opportunity that is provided to find positive feedback and a sense of community, whilst having a forum to share your own work and read that of your peers. She also served as a Peer Review Ambassador and is very excited to return to the site now that she has graduated, in the hopes of helping young writers have the same influential experience that she did. She has been published in The JFA Human Rights Journal and Viral Verses: Art in Exceptional Times and is an editor of The Looking Glass Anthology and Take Action Press. In her spare time, she loves theatre, reading and music, plays the violin, and drinks endless cups of tea.

Acknowledgments

Write the World is so appreciative of everyone who contributes to our global community. We would like to give a special thanks to:

• The team at Echobind

• Our Educator Advisory Board

• Our Student Consultants

• and of course, all our wonderful young writers!