How it Works - For Young Writers

What is Write the World?

"If the World Was a Movie," by Hannah Flores, winner of WTW's 2020 Spoken Word Competition

Welcome to Write the World!

We’re a community of young writers (ages 13-18), hailing from over 120 countries.

Join our global platform, and...

Explore our ever-changing library of prompts as you establish a regular writing practice and expand your repertoire of styles, all while building your portfolio of polished work.

See your writing improve as you find your own voice. Enter competitions for the chance to receive feedback from authors, writing teachers, and other experts in the field.

Writing is a social act. Share your work with a vibrant, global community, and exchange feedback with writers from all over the world.

Earn badges along the way as you build your writing portfolio.

Sign Up   

Writing Prompts

Spark your writing to life!

When you’re at a loss for an idea or feeling uninspired, a prompt magically opens new doors.

Write away writer’s block, push beyond your comfort zone, experiment with topics and styles—from flash fiction to memoir, opinions to poems, essays to tweets.

Go to Prompts

Competitions

Each month Write the World holds a new competition, developed around a particular idea or genre of writing, such as poetry, fantasy, sports journalism, or flash fiction. Competitions encourage you to dig deeper into the writing process, try out new genres and share your work with a sea of eager readers.

And because a first draft is never perfect, you have the chance to receive peer and expert feedback before submitting your final piece. Here's how competitions work:

Watch more tips for entering competitions.

What’s Different About Write the World Competitions?

• Free Entry and Cash Prizes: The winning entrant receives $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer receive $50.
  • Professional Recognition: All three winners will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.
  • Expert Review: Submit a draft in the first week and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and education professionals.
  • Guest Judges: From Poet Laureates to The President’s speech writer—our monthly competitions are judged by renowned and respected writers from across the globe.

View our current, past, and upcoming competitions here.

See our Guest Judges

Writing is a social activity.

The best writers draft and redraft their work—often based on the feedback they receive from their writing community. At Write the World, this is what creates connection from one side of the globe to the other. By giving peer feedback, we encourage each other to keep at it! Expressing ourselves through the written word is so much easier (and fun) when we have eager readers telling us what’s working well, and where we might strengthen our craft.

In this peer review, you can see that a young writer is giving her peer feedback by:

• Highlighting and commenting on specific elements of the text.
  • Responding to peer review questions (in the right column).

How to Write a 5-Star Review (and take feedback in stride).

How to incorporate peer review into your writing.

Groups

Write Together - Join a Writing Group

Do you have a particular interest in crafting a story in a single sentence, writing in rhyme, or putting life experience on the page? Join one of Write the World's Groups and connect with other young writers who share your passion.

Go to Groups

Please note that, unless otherwise stated, group managers are not affiliated with Write the World. Please report any offensive or dubious material to Write the World immediately via hello@writetheworld.com or Flag the piece within the website. Please exercise usual internet safety precautions regarding privacy and personal information. Remember that people using the internet are not always who they say they are. For further details on internet safety go to: http://www.childnet.com/young-people/secondary

WORDS ARE POWERFUL. In joining the Write the World community and publishing on the platform, you are responsible for your words. Check out our Writing Guidelines for further details.

Publications

Writers on Earth: New Visions for Our Planet

When it comes to climate change, it is the young people of today who are leading the way—galvanizing adults into taking action. The poems and stories by the young writers that fill these pages are equal parts a love letter to planet earth and a rallying cry for change. This book is for youth climate activists, educators, lovers of our beautiful planet and concerned citizens across the globe. No matter who you are, we know you’ll be inspired by what these young writers have to say.

Go to Writers on Earth

Write the World Review

Write the World Review is our online literary journal. We publish several issues annually. Each issue features a diverse range of pieces published on Write the World over the few months prior. For your work to be considered, simply respond to prompts on Write the World.

Go to Write the World Review

Write the World: Young Writers Across the Globe, Volumes 1 and 2

Our two full color literary journals contain stories, poems and essays written by Write the World members. The journals also contain selected prompts, reviews, and reflections from authors and critics. Be sure to check them out for a glimpse at the next generation of great writers.

Go to Young Writers