Ladyjustice

WtW Politics Club

A user-hosted club for any and every teen that likes to debate, listen, and learn.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood." -One of those Seven Habits things that my World History teacher kept hawking.

Welcome to the WtW Politics Club!

Comments > Likes

You don't need to have a tried-and-true political alignment to be a part of this club, you just need to share YOUR opinions!

Join the conversation:
-Hot topic conversations
-Roundtable debates
-Editorial competitions
-News updates

Everyone is welcome, regardless of identity, political alignment, nationality... you name it!

-Opinions/Users inciting violence, racism, homophobia, etc. will not be tolerated-
-Share your opinions, but remain respectful-

Hosted by a fellow Write the Worlder

Editorial Competition #1 - To Bear Arms (EXTENDED DATE)

6
Editorial / noun
    an article in a newspaper or other periodical or on a website presenting the opinion of the publisher, writer, or editor.

Hello, writers! Sorry for the slight absence- traveling! I know this account is a little new, but I wanted to jump right in with a competition...

The prompt? As you may have seen, the current roundtable focuses on gun control. A citizen's right (and the extent of that right) to own guns; should we ban guns altogether? Perhaps outlaw only military-grade weapons and spare the hunting rifles? Or should everyone be allowed to own as many guns as they please?

Due Date: September 1st, 2019

Minimum words: 200

Maximum words: 1000

Format: An editorial is similar to a persuasive essay; the point of your piece should be to show claims that support your stance on the topic. In other words, it's all about your opinions! For this reason, your entry must be in essay format. 

Judging: Judging will be as objective as possible. It is not your stance that matters so much as the delivery. Do you have strong claims and evidence? Does your essay come off as a well thought-out, quality piece, or does it sound a bit more like a rant?
We all have opinions, but opinions themselves will not factor into judging; pieces will be judged solely on quality.

Please tag your piece #tobeararms; if you'd like to be extra nice, post a link to your piece in the comments :)

Prizes:
    1st: Piece will be featured on the WtW Politics Club page for the following two weeks after winners are announced. Winning piece will receive a detailed review, along with one other review of the winner's choice. 

2nd: Piece will be featured on the WtW Politics Club page for the following week after winners are announced. Winning piece will receive a detailed review, along with one other review of the winner's choice.

3rd: Piece will be featured on the WtW Politics Club page for the following week after winners are announced. Winning piece will receive a detailed review. 

Honorable Mention: Piece will be featured on the WtW Politics page for the following week after winners are announced.

That's all there is to say right now... please be sure your piece is factually accurate! Argue for whatever side you want, but please please please don't spread false information!

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and good luck!

• WtW Politics Club

Hey everyone- I may be extending the deadline for final entries to September 15th, so stay posted!

• CrowSF

Here's a rough draft of my submission (I might edit/take feedback, depending on the time): https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/126283/version/243086

• Elanor Mericle

yaaayyy! i'm in!!

• Harlow

@parachutes lol can't wait

• parachutes

Im stoked to see how this goes down;brace yourselves.......the Canadian is in lol