Ladyjustice

WtW Politics Club

A user-hosted club for any and every teen that likes to debate, listen, and learn.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood." -One of those Seven Habits things that my World History teacher kept hawking.

EDITORIAL CONTEST ACTIVE NOW!

Welcome to the WtW Politics Club!

Comments > Likes

You don't need to have a tried-and-true political alignment to be a part of this club, you just need to share YOUR opinions!

Join the conversation:
-Hot topic conversations
-Roundtable debates
-Editorial competitions
-News updates

Everyone is welcome, regardless of identity, political alignment, nationality... you name it!

-Opinions/Users inciting violence, racism, homophobia, etc. will not be tolerated-
-Share your opinions, but remain respectful-

Hosted by a fellow Write the Worlder

Editorial Competition #1 - To Bear Arms (EXTENDED DATE)

1
Editorial / noun
    an article in a newspaper or other periodical or on a website presenting the opinion of the publisher, writer, or editor.

Hello, writers! I know this account is a little new, but I wanted to jump right in with a competition...

The prompt? As you may have seen, the current roundtable focuses on gun control. A citizen's right (and the extent of that right) to own guns; should we ban guns altogether? Perhaps outlaw only military-grade weapons and spare the hunting rifles? Or should everyone be allowed to own as many guns as they please?

Due Date: September 15th, 2019

Minimum words: 200

Maximum words: 1000

Format: An editorial is similar to a persuasive essay; the point of your piece should be to show claims that support your stance on the topic. In other words, it's all about your opinions! For this reason, your entry must be in essay format. 

Judging: Judging will be as objective as possible. It is not your stance that matters so much as the delivery. Do you have strong claims and evidence? Does your essay come off as a well thought-out, quality piece, or does it sound a bit more like a rant?
We all have opinions, but opinions themselves will not factor into judging; pieces will be judged solely on quality.

Please tag your piece #tobeararms; if you'd like to be extra nice, post a link to your piece in the comments :)

Prizes:
    1st: Piece will be featured on the WtW Politics Club page for the following two weeks after winners are announced. Winning piece will receive a detailed review, along with one other review of the winner's choice. 

2nd: Piece will be featured on the WtW Politics Club page for the following week after winners are announced. Winning piece will receive a detailed review, along with one other review of the winner's choice.

3rd: Piece will be featured on the WtW Politics Club page for the following week after winners are announced. Winning piece will receive a detailed review. 

Honorable Mention: Piece will be featured on the WtW Politics page for the following week after winners are announced.

That's all there is to say right now... please be sure your piece is factually accurate! Argue for whatever side you want, but please please please don't spread false information!

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and good luck!

• MarSan

https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/free_writing/127911/versions/246588
    this is a bit late, but it was really interesting to reflect and think upon this topic! thanks!

• WtW Politics Club

hey don't worry about it! There haven't been many entries so if there aren't enough bu the 15th, the contest will just be scrapped and we'll move on to another topic

• Elanor Mericle

heyy im so sorry but im not gonna be able to write an editorial for this challenge even tho i'd rly rly love to and im so so passionate about it! school has become really busy and im doing dual enrollment this year so its kinda stressful, and i've barely had time to write assigned essays, so i don't have time to write on here as much :( i'll keep following these challenges tho and maybe if i have time over my vacation, i'll enter :) but till then i can't WHICH SUCKS CUZ I LOVE DEBATING ABOUT GUN CONTROL :((( im so sry this is something i'd rly love to do but my schedule is rly packed with school, sports, and now college ppl assessing my work aghhhhhh