Ruthh

‘Well, once there was only dark. If you ask me, the light's winning.’

she/her | 17 | lover of books and films | ravenclaw | seer of breath | chaotic neutral | nikolai lantsov + loki stan

WTW community ambassador alum

Hello! My name is Ruth and, like everyone else on this site, I'm attempting to write. Some of my interests include books (my favourites are The Picture of Dorian Gray, Six of Crows, Flowers for Algernon and The Kite Runner) films & tv (such as Donnie Darko, Fight Club, Interstellar, The Favourite, The World’s End, Fleabag and True Detective) and getting to know other people through writing, so feel free to leave likes and comments and I'll do the same for you!

Respectful Honesty

PROMPT: Pass It On

1
Detailed suggestions on how to improve are always really good. For example, I showed a piece I submitted to the album review competition to my teacher and he said specific things on how to improve that could be applied both broadly and in a smaller sense. Like a broad way to improve was my structuring but a little way I could improve was not repeating the same phrase and having more variety. That also happens with essays that I do at school.
- it was helpful because it was honest. Even though structuring is a big aspect of a piece, telling me that it needed some work was helpful.
- As well as this criticism, it was constructive - I had advice on how to start a piece and then zoom into different aspects before rounding it up at the end.
- also, reviews are good when they expand your knowledge. I like it when reviewers include links to websites with more information about forms and styles you’ve tried to use so you can hone in the skill. It helps incorporate a mixture of positive appreciation for the piece and an extension of what you can do.

• January 13, 2020 - 10:39am (Now Viewing)

• fatpanda

I agree. I got a review from Kenny a couple months ago picking up small things as well as suggesting how I could improve the piece in a broader sense. She included a couple links as well-- it was the first review of that particular kind I'd gotten, and it influenced my writing from that point on

• FizzyBaguette

Facts!