writing_is_art (Ayushi)

II portraitist II dancer II writer II

/I flow the way water flows
At the end there might be something
worth finding/

-People, Agust D

Of Vice & Violence

Six of Crows- Leigh Bardugo 
Thriller, Action, Adventure
13+

“When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing.”
In Six of Crows, The winding streets of Ketterdam carry with them mystery, deceit and half-truths; where gangs squabble over the ever-flowing coin of tourists and trade happens in everything from flowers to flesh. A den of vice and not nearly enough virtue is where the story of Kaz Brekker opens. Seventeen year old Dirtyhands, infamous for his lack of conscience and no job being too immoral for the right price. Kaz is a cripple, a boy whose backstory is as gruesome as the crimes he is willing to commit; he is the perfect antihero to lead a heist into one of the most ancient strongholds to retrieve a valuable prisoner. A criminal whose only cause is himself, governed by nothing more than vengeance and spite unites a crew whose abilities make the grand infiltration possible. 

Kaz and his crew each are driven by unique motivations and histories, yet when they are offered tens of millions to break into the 'Ice Court' of Fjerda to retrieve the political prisoner Bo Yul Bayur, they are united in a cause. Brekker assembles a crew that is desperate and daring; a crew willing to not shy away from the quite real possibility that they may never return from this heist. The special talents of each crew member aid Brekker in his ruthless scheming to access the Ice Court and steal Yul Bayur right from under the iron fist of the Fjerdans.

The story is told from the perspective of Brekker and his crew of five: Inej Ghafa, an acrobat sold into slavery at fourteen; Jesper Fahey, a sharpshooter, neck-deep in debt; Wylan Van Eck, a demolitionist, hunted by his own father for his shortcomings; Nina Zenik, a Heartrender who can rupture hearts and suffocate with a raise of her wrists; and Matthias Helvar, a soldier driven by his unwavering patriotism. Multiple perspective stories are often too overwhelming for me to comprehend, yet, Six of Crows is written with such finesse that each character's unique frame of mind only serves to add depth to each storyline. Leigh Bardugo brought to life a cast that is a reflection of what any group of humans fundamentally are- a ragtag collection of fears, hopes, and desires. Through the crew, Bardugo opens up a complicated conversation about slavery, addiction, and mental illnesses in such a way that gives the necessary respect to each complex struggle. As someone who has difficulty relating to literary characters, it was quite liberating to see some of my own self reflected in each character of this story. Inej and her struggle with finding her purpose, Matthias being blinded by the love he holds for his people; these are both internal struggles that I have also encountered. Essentially, Bardugo’s literary panache is so profound that even with the elaborate characters' storylines, the main plot of the story is never lost.

In addition to the characters, what drew me into the universe of Six of Crows was the sheer logic of the novel. There is quite possibly nothing I love more than a puzzle I can solve alongside the protagonists of the story I am reading; and the way Bardugo writes presents the story to readers on a silver platter. Kaz is able to look at the Ice Court like the thief he is, and crafts a plan that will get them in and out of the Court in one day. Getting locked in the Court's prison, climbing six stories through a burning Incinerator shaft, and crossing an Ice moat are all pieces of Kaz's plan that take place as the story evolves. It is truly a testament to the brilliance of Leigh Bardugo, to be able to create such an intricate scheme that rests solely on the logic of a criminal mind; Six of Crows is my favourite book of all time, a literary masterpiece.

The heart of this book is built upon the dynamics and discourse between the six characters. Each of them guard their own stories, and as the chapters alternate between the different perspectives, we get to see the narrator's voice shift flawlessly from one character to another. The language changes so distinctly that it is quite easy to tell apart Inej's steady, calm narration from Nina's satirical, witty voice. It is incredibly endearing to witness these thugs, killers, and canal rats grow to love and care for each other, entrusting each other with their lives and then some. The characters' bond and banter is one of the foundational pillars of the story. 

"Kaz leaned back. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?"
"Knife to the throat?" asked Inej.
"Gun to the back?" said Jesper.
"Poison in his cup?" suggested Nina.
"You're all horrible," said Matthias.” 

The multi-dimensional characters, the ingenious heist, and the phenomenal dialogue work together to create a story that is the only book I have ever read for which I have taken the time dedicated to read, and read again multiple times; memorizing entire passages of story as if it were gospel. The morally grey characters, the ruthless scheming of Kaz Brekker, the setting in a country where the religion is profit and law is trade helps lay the groundwork for a tale of justice, greed, and desperation. Six of Crows is the perfect balance of fantasy and reality, it offers an escape from the mortal world yet retains enough humanity that it can still reflect the reader's own struggles. I would recommend this book to fans of the Kingsmen and Ocean's series plotlines, and fans of the Shadowhunter universe's banter and dialogue. 

I have a feeling that this is running far too long (951 words) , yet I have so much to say about this story.... conflicted aha

• shiwrites

i absolutely love this book and your review perfectly sums up a lot of the things i also feel in regard to it!

• alex.the.bookish

Love the review, and I absolutely adore this book.