Writing4Life

#BLM
Welcome to my profile!
Ruth/Star
14
Girl
Christian ✞
Homeschooled
ENFP-T
Actor
Writer/Poet (duh)
Equestrian
Singer
Pianist
Warrior Cats 4 Life ♡
Beach Lover ^^
Want a review? Just ask!

I highly recommend reading this book; it's amazing! Peer reviews would be very much appreciated :D

A Tangle of Knots

A Tangle of Knots is written by award-winning author Lisa Graff. The book is set in a time where every person on Earth has a talent. Knot-tying, baking, whistling, plant-watering, even floating, are some of the many talents that people possess in this world. Every person has a talent.
Except for those who are Fair.
Toby Darlington works at the Lost Luggage Emporium for a mean old man simply known as The Owner (The Owner has some strange obsession with St Anthony's suitcases). Toby is all alone, he's Fair, he's lost the only family he ever had, and he only wishes he could get away.
Until Cadence steps out of the fog. Slam! Brakes skid, and the car jerks to a stop. A small, pixie-like girl stares at him, her black hair curling around her cheeks. Her fork is frozen halfway to her mouth, and the piece of cake beneath it somehow intrigues Toby. He gets out. 

Cadence, fondly known as Cady lives at Miss Mallory's Home for Lost Girls. Miss Mallory has a talent for matching orphans to their perfect families. Yet, for some reason, Cady has never been matched. While all the orphans flow out like a restless tide, Cady stays.

Will Cady ever find her perfect family? Too many homes have pushed her back to Miss Mallory.
But Cady has an extraordinary talent.
She can bake. But, no, she can't just bake. She can make your perfect cake. She can look at you, and know, instantly, what your perfect cake is, whether it's a sweet, spicy honey cake, a strong, potent garlic cake, or a sugary, sticky s'mores cake, she can make it for you. But what is her perfect cake? A cherry cake? Almond? Chocolate?

This book blends the perspectives of many different characters into one, perfect story. A tangle of knots become a tangle of words, as impossible leads twist together to form one, well-thought-out book. Even including tasty recipes for you to make your own cakes, this book is brilliant. Lisa Graff breathes magic onto every page, and as the characters leap up in front of you, you realize, this is not just a book.
It is a story.
It is real.

From lime pound cakes, to hot air balloons, to seemingly empty glass jars, this book has a surprise around every turn. You never know what's going to happen next, and you're kept on your toes, until the end. This book is one of my personal favourites, containing two things I adore, food, and writing! Come on, you know you love them too. 

I have read this book many times, but still, I love it. Still, I get surprised at the ending. Still, it comes alive before me. Only a few books have a timeless magic about them, where 50 years later, you'll still love it to pieces. I think this is one of my timeless books. It mixes mystery, fantasy and non-fiction into a big, wonderful book that will delight children and families alike.

Don't believe me? It was long listed for the National Book Award, and magazines like Booklist and Publishers Weekly have given positive reviews. 

Sometimes it's hard to branch out, and read new books. Maybe you've got a special book that you love to bits. Maybe you don't want to waste your time reading a book that might be a complete failure! Trust me, bad books are no fun to read. But trust me, put down that other book, and pick up this, and be prepared to enter a world of mystery, intrigue, wonder, and most importantly, cake.
Word count: 602.
Btw, if you do want to read this book, either go to your library, or go to https://openlibrary.org/works/OL16599374W/A_tangle_of_knots?edition=tangleofknots00graf . Here you can borrow the book and read it for free :D

1

Wow, this book sounds perfectly lovely. I'll have to add it to my to-read list.

• Avril

Love this book review! I'm definitely going to check out the book ;)