Stone of Jade

~ 17 she/her ~
Aspiring writer and artist. Completely awestruck by night skies. Apart of many, many fandoms ;) Reader, journaler, collector.
~ pilot pens and beat-up notebooks ~
one half of the locket
Vice Pres. Cult of the Crunch

I haven't posted for Traitors and Rebels in awhile because I wanted to finish up On The High Seas. Now that that's over more chapters for T&R should be coming more frequently.

So here we are again...continuing with chapter 26!

I say this almost every time but I can't say it enough. Your comments and feedback are so encouraging. It means so much to me that you all take time out of your day to read my writing. And your love for my characters makes me so excited. I can't wait for you to read what is coming next! Big things are going to happen soon ;)

LMK if you want to be updated (or if you don't want to be updated anymore)

-------
here are some of my other series if you are interested ;)
On the High Seas (finished)
Unlikely Hero (finished)
heartbreak series (finished)

Traitors and Rebels: Chapter 26

7
Chapter 26: Owen

Owen woke the next morning after a restless night. He hadn’t been able to get much sleep--mainly tossing and turning through the hours. The funeral was today. He still didn’t know if he should go or not. Josh had said he was invited, but Owen didn’t want to make it awkward. He figured it might be hard for the families to be comforted as they mourned while he was there. He was a standing reminder of their fellow soldier and loved one’s death. Owen could hear Josh, who was in the next room, getting ready. In case Owen decided to go, Josh lent him a suit. It hung over the chair next to the desk. Owen looked at the clock--it was almost nine. The funeral started at ten. Making up his mind, Owen got up and began to get dressed. 

The house was empty by the time Owen left. Even though he had decided to go to the funeral, he did not feel comfortable going with the family. Owen hadn’t seen Emery all morning. Part of him worried for her. If today was hard for him, he couldn’t imagine what she was going through. 
    Once outside, Owen headed toward the back of the base. A large field, bordered by a forest, spread out on the north side of the campus. Here, Owen saw many graves--monuments marked in white stone. He wondered if all these soldiers had been killed by AIM. Three freshly dug holes lay in one section of the cemetery. Allegiance flags lay across each of the three coffins. A large crowd had gathered in front of the memorial. Owen watched from a distance. He didn’t feel right merging himself in with the mourners. 
    A mother and daughter stood in front of one coffin. A larger family stood next in front of the second. One soldier, who Owen assumed was the brother of the fallen, held the hand of a small girl. A woman, the mother it seemed, stood with her head tucked in the shoulder of a man, who must have been the father. A younger son stood next to the father, his expression heartbroken. Emery stood next to Josh and Sasha in front of the third coffin. CO Rosadra stood behind them. 
    A line of soldiers in full uniform stood to the left of the graves. Owen recognized Amira Ru speaking to the crowd. Owen couldn’t hear every word, but he knew they were words of honor for the fallen soldiers. Many tears were shed by both the families and the soldiers standing in the crowd. Even Owen felt on the verge of tears. This was his squadron’s fault. If they had not intercepted that transmission, if they had never set the ambush in the mines, these soldiers would still be alive. Emery’s brother would still be alive.

As Amira finished her few words, the soldiers to the left stood attention.
“Present arms!” The lieutenant's voice rang out across the field. The row of soldiers stood to attention. “Fire!”
Shot after shot rang out, honoring their fallen comrades.
    Several more men came and stood next to the coffins. A sergeant stepped forward and pulled the flag off the first coffin. He folded it respectfully and handed it to the older woman. The woman clutched the flag under one arm, reaching the other out to touch the top of the coffin. Her touch lingered on the hard wood before her daughter pulled her back gently. After delivering each flag to the corresponding families, the soldiers lowered each of the coffins into the ground.
    As the coffins disappeared into the earth, the sound of taps began to play. Loud and clear, the notes rang forth.
Owen watched the mourning families with a heavy heart. Emery stood with her head bowed. Josh had his arm around her. The taps finished, yet Owen could swear he heard the echo of the notes linger in the cemetery. Slowly, the crowd of soldiers dispersed, leaving the mourning families alone. A few walked by Owen. He didn’t look up, but still felt the force of their gaze heavy upon him. 
    The older woman was the first of the families to leave, her daughter leading her away. The mother and father left next, followed by the little boy. Josh talked with the oldest son of the second family, while Sasha talked quietly with the little girl. They left together. Owen watched as CO Rosadra left Emery in front of the third coffin. She stood, alone, staring at the grave.
    Owen took a step forward, intending to go up to her. But then he stopped. Should he? It didn’t seem right to leave her alone. But it also didn’t seem right for him to be the one to comfort her. If comfort was even the right word. How could he comfort Emery after everything that had happened. Why, out of all people, would she want to see him during this time? But even so, Owen felt compelled to go talk to her.

• January 16, 2021 - 10:57am (Now Viewing)

• chasing sunsets

ahhhhhhh *sobbing*
    I feel like Emery is going to get closer to Owen after all this. Can't wait for the next chapter!!

So glad you're posting more of this! This development feels so important to Owen and Emery's relationship...I can't imagine the guilt he would feel.

• happygiggles

re- Thanks! There is something so cool about sunsets, right? :D

This is getting so interesting!!

• Rohan’s Defender

*crying in background*
    This is so heartbreaking, but you did an amazing job with describing the funeral. The emotions of this chapter are explained great. And Awwwwwwwwwwwww, Owennnnn!!
    Needless to say, I loveeee this! Thanks so much for notifying me!
    Re: aw, thank you!! :)

• books4life

this is simply wonderful! his inner monologue is fantastic and i love the character development. so sad. I hope Emery is okay!!