The Ravenclaw Dragon

District 5 & 13
Ravenclaw
Daughter of Athena
Nightwing
Shadow Charmer
INFJ-T
Rock Climber
Skier
Surfer
LDS
Currently Reading:
Northanger Abbey

Doing a collab with Sam Rose called the Endless Prarie!

A-review-for-a-review!

Talent

Athena

I have talent. I am special. No one can take that away from me. I don't care what they all think, because I have talent. Therefore, I am special.

Archane
    She stole our right for talent! Well, I don't care. I'll gladly take back my right, because I don't owe her a single thing. And that includes my right to talent.

Athena
    I walked along the streets of this little town in Greece. This town was very kind, but my institution was kicking in. Something would go amiss very soon. Too soon.

Archane

I weaved my tapestry and smiled. 
    See, look, Athena. I don't need your help, "Your Majesty". Ha!

The crowd watched my work- not Athena's. My finger wove in and out, out and in. 
    My mother came over and squeezed my shoulder. "I'm so proud of you, Archane! I must be as proud for you as you must be grateful for your gifts."
    "Grateful to who?" I asked. Everyone except me froze. "This is my own genius- not Athena's nor Zeus's. I have my own talents, and they are mine."

Athena

I heard the words as if they had been yelled in my ear. They made my lungs tighten. Was I not special anymore? Would I now just be another abandoned child of Zeus? My mouth was dry as I turned myself into an old woman and walked over to Archane.

Archane

An old lady, who was near the front of the crowd, said, "Everything that makes you is a gift. Not something of your own. It was given to you."

Athena

Archane laughed. "Not at all. This is me- not some goddess without real powers."
    My heart tightened.

Archane

It all happened at once. The old woman transformed into a great goddess. Without anyone telling me, I knew in an instant who it was. Athena. My hands shook. I turned my fear into anger. If she wanted to spy on me, fine! It's my talent, not hers. 
    "If you're so much better than that goddess, why don't you join me in a weaving contest?" she said.

Athena

She didn't even blink an eye. "Fine. I will."

Archane

Our needles weaved in and out, out and in. The crowd got us more and more yarn, supplying to our needs. Our eyes were tight as our fingers made the precise moves.

Athena
    Then we were finished. I took note of every imperfection on my tapestry. I held my breath as my gaze strayed from my own to Archane's.

Archane

Athena's tapestry was perfect. I let my gaze travel over the piece. It was of each of the twelve gods of Olympus, with their powers. Her father, Zeus, was fingering a lightning bolt. Poesiden was riding a wave. Apollo was riding the sky. Athena was hunting with her maidens. Hermes was racing around. It was beautiful.

Athena

Archane's tapestry was perfect. My eye twitched as I realized what it was about. They were of all the gods and a few of the goddesses abusing their powers! It was everything I had told the others not to do, but they'd never listen to me because I was a practically powerless goddess who didn't know anything. Although her tapestry was cruel, it had a beauty to it as well.

Archane

Athena's was perfect. Mine look lousy compared to hers. Mine just showed a hodgepodge of horribleness. Hers was full of colors and happiness. It seemed as if it popped out and was playing scenes right before me.

Athena

Archane's was perfect. I could see every imperfection on mine, but as I scanned her tapestry, I could see none. It was as if it was actually playing out in front of me. 
    Which meant- I wasn't special anymore. 

Archane
    She had been right. My "talent"- which turned out wasn't much compared to Athena's- was a gift from the gods.

Athena
    Before anyone could say anything about my horrible tapestry or Archane's perfect one, I stood up and stared at her. Then, I pointed my finger at her.

Archane

"If you enjoy weaving so much," she leered. "Why don't you enjoy a life where weaving is your life?" 

Athena

Those two arms she used to destroy my talent with her own tapestry turned into four; as well as her two legs turned into four. Her two eyes that she used to roll at me turned into eight. Her unblemished, fair skin turned as black as the night. And she was shrinking and shrinking until she was no more than four centimeters. The sewing needle and yarn in her hand moved until it was in her abdomen and show two little spinnerets. And on her back, a little red hourglass symbol glowed. 

Archane

"Fine," I snarled. "I'll just create beautiful tapestries that make your own seem like a clump of yarn!" 
    A villager's foot came too close to me for my liking, so I scurried away.

Athena

"It's a good thing that she didn't bite us," I heard someone whisper to her husband.
    I shook my head. "Her tapestry already bit me- in my heart."
    This is based off of the Athena & Archane myth. Since Athena usually seems ill-tempered and Archane usually seems loud-mouthed in this story, I decided to give each of them a voice. 

• July 19, 2021 - 11:47am (Now Viewing)

• ava_grace

Re: Thanks!

• 4ExtraShotsOfEspresso

I adore how you wrote this, with the dual perspectives, and just /everything/.
    I'm glad you gave them a voice :D

• ava_grace

As a Greek mythology fan I loved this!