Helena

Hi! I'm Helena!
13 years old
Australian
Plays flute
Love reading and writing :)
ISFJ-T
Joined 4/10/21

Feedback would be really really appreciated! Thank you to those who have already given me feedback on this piece, it means a lot!

Lucky Thirteen

PROMPT: [Insert Age]

6
Some people never want to grow up.
Some people can't wait.
Some people don't get to grow up,
And some don't even get to take a breath.

To be here, at thirteen, I am lucky. Lucky to be walking through blades of grass without a single scratch, lucky to be breathing colours in the open sky, my palette filled with yellows and pinks. Lucky to be wrapped in anchoring embraces and loving smiles, sharing my burdens when need be. I am lucky to be brushing the stars with my fingertips, the perfect age where dreams are in reach yet not laughed upon. And, as people always say, lucky thirteen. I am lucky.

I could grouch.
I could.
I could sleep forever and ever and lounge around all day inside.
I could.
I could tear open hearts and not give a second thought.
I could.
I could rip apart this world through fits of anger,
Leaving behind nothing but lone tears.
I could.
But why, oh why, would I waste all my privileges? Lucky thirteen, and I'm lucky to be here.

Instead, I rise with the sun, feasting my gaze on every scene that crosses my path. The blooming blossoms, fluttering to the floor. The tickle of dirt between my toes. The smell of a fresh rose.

I am thirteen, and I am lucky.

Hi! This is my second draft of this piece, so thank you so much Blue Moons and Carmen1919 for the reviews! I've tried to fix things up a bit, but if there's more that I could change, please please let me know!

2

• lucida

re: ahh yesss you're making me have flashbacks of the book ahahah it was such a good book

• Blue Moons

Oh my gosh, this is just wonderful! I really am delighted that you continued to work on the piece, it's so cool to see it transform, you did a brilliant job! There wasn't anything in the original piece that you really needed to 'fix', but it's awesome that you were able to enhance it and bring out the best the way you did. I'm also so glad that my review was meaningful, thank you for letting me know you appreciated it. I can't wait for more of your writing, you have talent and I'm excited to see what else you create! Blessings :)

Re: Yess! Aww that's so sweet! Thank you <33

Re: Thank you so much! (also, ay, I'm an Australian Christian as well :D)

• lucida

re: eyyy hahaha
    glad you're liking it and enjoy the end!! if I remember correctly there's somewhat of a plot twist ehehe

• lucida

ooh also I see that you're reading We Were Liars, I love that book! Are you enjoying it?

• lucida

re: thank you so much!