SunsetShimmer

France

15
field hockey player
bilingual (French/English)
Writing to make sense of the world.
established. summer 2021

I feel like there is something that doesn't quite work but I can't figure out what, any suggestions?
thanks for reading!

15

PROMPT: [Insert Age]

6
15.
Not an adult.
and yet not a child either.
a teenager... but what is a teenager?
someone who is supposed to be more responsible but still isn't responsible.
someone who is making their own mistakes and being told off for them.
someone who is being pressured into decisions about their future that they probably aren't ready to make.

I ask myself how come with only fifteen years on this earth, of which three are completely forgotten, and ten are sugar coated, we have to choose what we must do for the rest of our lives.
especially since they only warn us minutes before. From fully protected until 13, to all of a sudden thrust into teenage hood and onto adulthood.
in a time of constant upheaval, where all our friends that surround us are going through the exact same thing, we are supposed to be reliable, intelligent, mannered creatures of this earth. And yet even our parents aren't! no one is!

from what I can gather at fifteen, my version of fifteen, we should still be allowed to act like kids, ie make a mess, play at childish games but we should also be given easy responsibilities to slowly ease us into the world.
Just because im fifteen doesn't mean that I will not accidentally lose something important, it definitely doesn't mean that I will start to clean up behind myself (I try, I really do but well sorry :) ) or that I will listen any more. But that doesn't mean I don't hear nor see the decisions that are to come, it means im simply thinking, trying to make a choice. 
So to all the adults, please just give us a break, we will get there... eventually.  :)
In france, we choose our subjects for our exams at 18 when we are fifteen.

• November 1, 2021 - 2:42am (Now Viewing)

• Wonder :)

yes yes yes! so relatable and true! love it :)

• Helena

"...of which three are completely forgotten, and ten are sugar coated, we have to choose what we must do for the rest of our lives." I love this <3