Camp 2018 winner profile photo

WishfulKittyKat1

I'm a Texan writer who's obsessed with grammar. A future lawyer. A nerd. A sister. A Christian. A rock climber. A roller skater. A singer. An actor. A not-a-dancer. A kaleidoscope of labels that are supposed to describe me.

I write to move. I write to play the finely tuned instrument of the human mind. I write to cause laughter, and tears, to give worry and peace. I write so they will turn back three pages to make sure they read what they think they did. I write so they will set down my book with an awed thump, not daring to break the moment with a slam. I write so they will end the story with sadness and elation and nostalgia coursing through their veins all at once. I write to move.

Hero? Me?

1
Take a look at my life.
Go ahead, really.  I don't mind.
I always wanted someone to traipse through the most intimate recesses of my memories, past secrets that I've locked up with half a dozen keys, and learn it all.
Oh well.  At least it's just one person.  It's not like anyone else will ever know.
They will?  What do you mean?  I only see you.
You're writing a book?  About me?  What for?  It's not like there aren't other people to choose from.  People who actually want the attention.
You find me interesting.  Sure.  Everyone does.  That doesn't mean that everyone writes a BOOK ABOUT ME!!!
Sorry.  I'll calm down.  It's just-
Sure you understand.  Sure you do.  Sure you've watched your family die.  Sure you've had to kill people, all because fate decided to play a couple tricks on you.
What do you mean you're sorry?  It's not like it's your fault.
I'm sorry.  I must have heard wrong.  I could have sworn you said it is.
IT IS?  YOU DID THIS TO ME?  ALL BECAUSE OF SOME HELL-CONDEMED BOOK?
CALM DOWN?  GIVE ME ONE GOOD REASON WHY I SHOULD CALM DOWN!
A protagonist?  I'm your protagonist?  How am I, of all people your protagonist?
Why would you do something like that to me if you respect me?
I thought I was plenty strong already.
A hero has to be stronger than a protagonist.