Download

Abigail

Abigail was born and raised in the Midwest, where she still lives and attends school. Other than writing, Abigail likes to read, dance, and act. She has published a few poems and short stories. Thank you for your support.

Please leave a numbered list of what you think is the voice/emotion/impression behind each start. What other emotions would you like me to create starts for off of this story idea?

Turned Five Times Over

The smell of old-fashioned buttermilk pancakes drew me from a night of summer sleep in a way that felt so much like a laugh wrapped in a hug wrapped in summer and drizzled with the sweetest syrup imaginable. 

It's just short of a well known fact that every child hates going back to school, but adults still swear it's good for us and wake us by whatever means necessary to get us there on time. 

August 13: Dear Diary, tomorrow is my first day of junior high. I'm told kids in junior high don't keep diaries, so from now on, I'm going to call you "Journal". Sounds grown up, huh?

"Watch it!" some short-tempered boy shouts down the hall. Kids press against the walls to avoid the same confrontation. One collides with an opening locker and sends a metallic bang vibrating down the deafening hall.

An instant can ruin your life. All it takes is missing the bus and a slightly stained shirt to let me know that junior high will not be kind. All it took was the look from someone I used to care about. 
Starting junior high/middle school is an important milestone in life that marks a time of change. These are five views on starting the first day.